Saturday, November 5, 2016

Lectio Divina – Autumn 2016


Back in my Seminary days, we were taught a practice called "Lectio Divina" (divine reading). Wikipedia describes it as "a traditional Benedictine practice of scriptural reading, meditation and prayer intended to promote communion with God and to increase the knowledge of God's Word." At my interfaith Seminary where we were exploring the Oneness of all things, of all beings, of all spiritualities, "scripture" covered many sorts of texts. Communion with the Divine could be achieved through a Rumi poem, a talmudic midrash, a passage from Bird by Bird, or a Marvel comic, if we were reading it right.

Since February 2016, I've been practicing Lectio Divina, although I hadn't realized it until yesterday. Each morning, I read an entry from a daily Mussar reader, a pair of verses from the Dhammapada, and finally, a poem from Seasons of the Witch: Poetry and Songs to the Goddess by Patricia Monaghan. This last book I added only recently. I'm not even sure what drew me to it, though I've always loved Monaghan's work. Maybe, as we move into the later fall and coming winter, and as we inch closer to this extremely charged, consequential, and triggering presidential election, reading poems organized around the seasons and focussed on The Goddess seemed like it might help clear away some of the dread and anxiety growing in me as the weeks have passed. Yesterday, the poem I read lifted my spirits and settled my nerves. The poem left me feeling grounded and ready for whatever the coming days will bring us. It also shone a light on the true nature of this practice I've been doing for nearly 9 months. Somehow, this monastic tradition of lectio divina had found its way into my life. I can hardly imagine starting my day without it.

I want to offer the poem here. May it lift the spirits of those of you reading it who might also be struggling to stay in balance and hold a sense of equanimity during these unsettled times.



The Goddess Instruction Manual, Part Three:
How to Make Love like Oshun


1. Begin with fingertips.
Read every burning tree,
red fruit, blue stone.
Move on to wind and water.
Then seasons, futures.

2. When adept, try this:
Read the body. First your own.
Its history and poetry,
Its intimate geographies.
Keep eyes closed.
See with touch.
Memorize yourself.

3. Touch each other.

4. Continue as above.

5. Continue as above.

6. The world, the eyes
open. O wonder!
O newness!
O fragrent air!
O blue sound!
O body radiant
with imperfection!

7. Everything should be
liquid at this point.
Liquid and golden.
Dive and plunge.
Swim. Frolic.

8. Something 
shattering:
crystal,
purple glass,
dark blue porcelain.
Break apart.

9. Dissolve in light.
Dissolve into pale stars.

10. Keep looking,
Keep touching.

11. The word is:
yes.
The world is:
yes.

12. Continue as above.

* * *

And together, let us say, Amen. May Oshun, the Yoruba Orisha of the river and fresh water, of luxury and pleasure, sexuality and fertility, beauty and love, connected to destiny and divination, bless us with the resources in all realms to create bright, abundant, flowing, love-filled lives. #imwithher #lovetrumpshate #vote

2 comments:

  1. i adore this poem! and finding it here, now- such a radiant gift. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you posting again! I'm intrigued by your Lectio Divina practice. Do you simply read the texts, or do you also meditate? Journal? I have a less structured (and less consistent) but similar morning ritual. Your post inspires me to commit to it more fully. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete